Friday, August 3, 2007

From the Shores of Gitche Gumee

My old friend Bob Mackreth retired not so long ago from 30 years with the National Park Service. For the last stretch of years, after postings to Kings-Sequoia, the Emerald Necklace, Cape Cod and Fire Island, he's lived in Northern Wisconsin where he's been a ranger-historian. His website, linked here and on the list at the right, has some nice writing and photographs.

I found the article debunking the story that the NPS at the Grand Canyon was forced to toe the creationists' line particularly interesting. Since Bob was an old-style liberal when last I saw him, I'd take his word on the matter.

There's also a lovely piece about a day taking trains which immediately brought to mind John Denver's tribute to them "All Aboard," recorded shortly before his untimely death in 1977.

I rather hope that Bob takes the time to write about going to Washington to protest the Vietnam War and what happened when they tried to surround the Pentagon. In my mind's eye, he's 19 and I'm 18, instead of that plus a lot of years of experience.

Enjoy.

No comments: