Monday, August 27, 2007

Gonzales Resigns--Film at 11

I didn't have the radio on as I drove to work this morning, so I missed the breaking news. Alberto Gonzales, possibly the worst attorney general since the Nixon Administration is going. I'm no fan of the guy Gonzales succeeded, but even he said "no" to the Pretender at least once. Fortunately, it was the top story once I signed into e-mail.

The rats are all deserting the ship, no doubt to avoid having to testify under oath or to lessen the scrutiny of the Republican Party in anticipation of the 2008 primaries and elections. Frankly, I can't understand how they can avoid testifying. If I were Senator Leahy, I'd be very tempted to send the U.S. Marshals out to round up Gonzales, Rove, Harriet Meyers, and any others who have refused to come clean. They all took oaths to uphold the Constitution and every damned one of them have put their buddy the pretender ahead of the Constitution.

Did everyone catch Keith Olbermann's special appearance with Countdown on the real NBC last night? I thought it was pretty funny and tragic that he had to explain the format of the show to new potential viewers. I figured it out pretty quickly once I started watching it. And isn't it a kick that he got to tell so many more people about the Pretender's handlers instruction book on how to keep protesters away from our governments Republican officials?

The fear-mongers have been jabbed with a strong dose of humor at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. The show is Jihad: The Musical and the company is going to "try and open it in New York." Here's a sample of some of the lyrics, sung by the protagonist and a reporter named Foxy Redstate:
I was foolish to doubt you because I can't live without you,
You're the best opposition for my cause, you're the nemesis I dream of,
You're the reason that my team of angry millions wave their flags and give me rabid applause.
And we are finally going to be in a holy war alliance where we are guaranteed compliance with religion over science, we're the overarching giants.
There's a line that we're both selling and it's perfectly compelling for the audience who will hate you by default.

Here's a link to the song "I Wanna Be Like Ossama." NPR has coverage here and here. Laughter truly is the best medicine.

No comments: