Thursday, April 17, 2008

April in New York, but Not for Me

I managed to get my husband out of the house this morning. At 6:45 a.m. Len doesn't do mornings that early unless he sees them from failure to go to bed the night before. We're getting too old to do that any more. We dropped off Michael at his job on time for his 7:00 a.m. start, and then I drove to Van Nuys Airport so Len could pick up the shuttle to LAX for his 11 a.m. flight to New York. Taking the bus saves me (or some really good friend) the aggravation of dealing with rush hour(s) traffic and the nightmare that is the loop through the LAX terminal.

I'm stunned that he actually got his suitcase packed before we went to bed last night. He's got his tuxedo for his appearance on What's My Line Live on Stage on Monday night, April 21, at the Barrow Street Theatre (27 Barrow Street) at 8 p.m. His 90 year old uncle is going to get into New York to see the show, and we expect a number of other friends will also be there.

Len was extremely jealous to find out that this weeks' Mystery Guest was Dick Cavett and my sister kept him company for most of the evening. We're both big fans. He spoke to my sister yesterday and told me that she was Cavett's wrangler and that from the moment she met him to the moment he was finished for the evening, she never stopped laughing. Dick Cavett was absolutely charming and the funniest man she had ever met. I love hearing that my sister is having a good time helping out with the show. I've had a great time doing the stills out here and I'm sorry I can't go to New York with Len this week.

Len will also be attending New York Comic Con at the Jacob Javits Center from Friday through Sunday being "the famous Len Wein." I know he's doing a memorial panel for his friend Steve Gerber at 11 a.m. on Saturday, but I don't think he's got a firm schedule for anything else. It's been almost 20 years since I've been to the Javits Center. I hope the transportation out of there has gotten more reliable.

I've been thinking that I should ask Len to take the subway a little further up Broadway from my sister's place to Columbia University to pick me up a sweatshirt from Teachers College. I haven't had one in years. I'm also compiling a mental shopping list from Zabar's, but I imagine it might be harder to get food through airport security than it used to be. On my last trip to New York, I brought back a 14 cup Cuisinart from Zabar's. That was on September 7, 2001.

3 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Wow, sounds like your husband is going to be a busy guy while in N.Y. I hope he has time to get you your sweatshirt and something from Zabar's. He may have a hard time getting around this week as the Pope is here and I am sure traffic is a nightmare. Hope he enjoys himself.

GH said...

I take bagels on the plane every time I go to NY. Never had a security issue.

THe trick is not eating them during the flight.

M. C. Valada said...

Len's been having a great time so far in New York. He should be settling in at the theatre to see August: Osage County just about now. I can't remember the name of the show he went to last night instead of taking up Peter David on a seder at Peter's hotel. Whatever it was, it was a musical, although not Xanadu, which is what he hoped to see.

So far, he hasn't complained about the traffic, even though he was concerned about being in New York the same time as the papal visit. Fortunately, the Pope goes home tonight.

Len's brought back bagels in the past as well. I was thinking cheese.