Thursday, August 28, 2008

Finally, the Candidate Speaks

I have been glued to MSNBC all week, watching the process of the Democratic National Convention. I have been touched by the speeches made by Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, Beau Biden, and Joe Biden. And tonight, Barack Obama's acceptance speech hit a grand slam out of Mile High Stadium.

This election is about the best of American values: that anyone can grow up to be president, that the promise of America is a better life for everyone, not just the wealthy, and that we help those who are worse off than ourselves.

After eight years of dispair about my country, my beloved Constitution, and the future my son, my nieces, and my nephews will have, I see a light at the end of a dark tunnel.

I am proud that this year two candidates of great intelligence and insight ran for the Democratic nomination (why is it only that the Democrats value intelligence in their candidates?) And while I was disappointed that Hillary Clinton did not win (I was also very disappointed that General Clark did not run), I will be pleased to cast my vote for someone who has worked hard to get to where he is in life, who could have landed a high-paying job with a big corporate law firm after graduation from Harvard Law School, but who chose, instead, to devote himself to public service. That's the kind of American President I want in the White House.

2 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

I commend you for your post! Very sensible.

jme said...

i agree. i would have happily voted for either candidate (though i slightly favored obama's policies) and regret gen. clark was not at least a vp contender. i've been feeling the despair you describe too, and last night gave me that little glimmer of - dare i say it - hope :-)