Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Some Nature Here to See You

Once upon a time, I wanted to be a nature photographer. I wanted to go off on those National Geographic or Life Magazine assignments to exotic places and photograph big horn sheep, elk, mustangs, bald eagles, Kodiak bears fishing for salmon, and buffalo roaming the plains.

I spent two summers traversing the United States and Canada with my camera and my now ex-husband in an old Dodge dart that had over 100,000 miles when we bought it (when we sold it, it had almost 180,000 miles on the odometer.) I did photograph big horn sheep, mountain goats, prairie dogs, elk, coyotes, bears, birds, buffalo, and moose. Some of those photographs have even been published (not, unfortunately, in National Geographic.) But I've got to say this video of a mama moose and her twins in somebody's back yard is better than anything I was able to get in Yellowstone National Park, where a pair of bachelor moose tromped by our tent every morning for eight days.

Remember, if you see a moose in the wild, keep your distance. They have poor eyesight and nasty tempers. They are very big and very fast, even at a walk. And don't ever get between mama and her babies. I still cringe when I think of the idiots in Jasper National Park in Canada who told their kids to run out into the field with the moose so they could get pictures. Some god was watching over them, because it was an incredibly stupid thing to do.

Many thanks to Janis Gelb, who passed the video on to a list serve on which we're both members. I promise it will make you smile.

2 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

That is pretty cute, I wouldn't want to mess with Mama Moose though.

M. C. Valada said...

No kidding. I wish there was a better sense of scale, because those animals are BIG.