Thursday, November 29, 2007

Seditious Libel

The Founding Fathers had the John Peter Zenger case to look to when establishing the First Amendment to protect speech (or writing) which is critical of the government. The case stands for the principal that the truth is an absolute defense to libel and the First Amendment goes further to protect unpopular opinion as well. In England, the truth is not an absolute defense because expression of facts which challenge the the omnipotence of the throne is subject to prosecution. In theory, our Constitution protects us from that kind of threat. At least it did until the Bush Administration started messing with us.

Last night, Keith Olbermann reported that firemen are being trained to go into places and seek out books and other documents that might indicate that the residents are somehow "not happy" with the Bush administration. Apparently such "not happy" people "might" be terrorists and under our new system of draconian laws can be dragged off for prosecution for impure thoughts. Since firemen don't need warrants to go into places police would, this is a big aid for the Bush police state.

Let me make it easy on any of the illegal wiretapping and electronic snooping this service might be subjected to:

1. I am a lawyer. I believe in the rule of law.
2. I think the U.S. Constitution is one of the greatest documents ever crafted and a carry a copy of it and the Declaration of Independence with me at all times.
3. I believe that the administration of George W. Bush and the fascists who surround him are the most dangerous threat that our way of life has faced since we defeated the Germans and Japanese in World War II.
4. I believe the Congress has shirked its duty to balance the excesses of the rule of the pretender and do everything in its power to stop the threat to our people.
5. I know that the oath which every Federal employee takes requires them to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States and I believe that the pretender, his own personal Darth Vader, and the sycophants who surround them have violated that oath virtually from their first day in office.
6. I am extremely unhappy with the government and I count down the days until it will be no more on January 20, 2009. It can't happen soon enough.

So now there is absolutely no reason to come and toss my house looking for incriminating evidence against me. The only question I have is how can the Bushies expect to imprison a country where more than 70% of the population is against them? I guess they'll be taking a page from George III's grandfather who collaborated with the fascists and try to round us all up. Anyone who thinks Rudy Giuliani will be better needs a shink--that man got art exhibits closed down because they offended him and tried to stay in office after his term had ended under the pretext of the threat of more terrorist attacks. Yeah, that's democracy in action.

No comments: