Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Primaries Continue

I've said before that I don't really care which of the Democratic candidates wins, I'll vote for either one of them. But as the primaries have worn on, I've started to feel that, despite her weaknesses, I'd rather see Hillary Clinton in first position, with Barack Obama as VP. I truly believe that she is the better qualified candidate. In my bad moments all I can think is that the American public will choose a younger, less experienced (though no less well educated) male candidate rather than elect a smart, well educated, and highly experienced woman as President.

I also realized that I'd like to see someone who looks a bit like me in the White House before I die. Hillary is as close to a contemporary as I can expect to have (she's a few years older), her daughter is almost the same age as my son, we both went to law school and practiced law, we've both done a lot of volunteer work, and we're both married to famous men, which can overshadow our own abilities and accomplishments. I'm far more militant about keeping my own name than she's been, but I'm not in the political arena and don't want to be.

The thing I believe most about Hillary Clinton in the White House is that many more women will be appointed to positions of power than will happen in an Obama administration. It is what women of my generation worked for and I think that it explains why Hillary has so many "grey" supporters.

I'll enthusiastically support and vote for Barack Obama if he wins the nomination. I will be sad for the loss of a groundbreaking role model for young women if Hillary Clinton is not the nominee. There is no doubt in my mind that either candidate is head and shoulders above anything the other side has to offer people like me. Mike Huckabee's peeps believe that the world was created 6000 years ago, that Adam and Eve went to church riding dinosaurs, and that women should be barefoot and pregnant, subservient to their husbands, seen and not heard. What kind of life is that for anyone's daughter?

3 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Where do I begin on this post,there is no one point to comment on so I will just say I agree with you wholeheartedly. However,I feel some people still can't see the whole picture,and only hear the media sound bites. Just love the countdown.

Trée said...

Let's just hope the Dems don't have a convention meltdown and lose sight of the bigger picture.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. I just don't think Obama has the experience that Hillary does. She works so hard at what every she does and has taken so much flack. I can't believe the country would choose a "super star" over such a committed and experienced person.