Tuesday, April 15, 2008

And the Final Jeopardy Answer Is...

I've probably mentioned before that we watch Jeopardy! religiously. Maybe even that I once relayed an entire episode by telephone, question by question, to Len, who was sitting in an airport lounge in L.A., waiting for a flight to London, while I was in Cleveland for law school.

We get a big kick out of Categories with People We Know. Or Categories That Len Created. Obviously, that's not what they are called on the show, but that's the effect for us.

Last night, the Final Jeopardy category was "Science Fiction," a Category Full of People We Both Know. After we both proclaimed we were betting our bank accounts, the house, the dogs, the horse, and my son, we speculated on just which of our friends would be the answer or the creator of the answer. The answer, roughly, was "These creatures were based on the effect rabbits had after they were introduced to Australia and reproduced uncontrollably."

We started laughing hysterically because we lead such strange and interesting lives. The question, of course, is "What are Tribbles?" Tribbles were created by the young David Gerrold for his Classic Star Trek episode, The Trouble with Tribbles.

The first time I photographed David was in 1973. In 1989, David introduced me to Len, saying he was someone I needed to photograph for my exhibit of science fiction professionals. The next day, as I prepared for the shoot, I said to Len "David said I should photograph you, but I'm at the point in this project where I'm shooting people whose work I don't know. So who the hell are you, anyway?" The rest, as they say, is history.

No comments: