Thursday, July 31, 2008

Balancing the Budget on the Backs of Workers

Boy, I just can't wait to find out if my salary is being slashed by 80% today in the Guvernator's attempt to get the legislature to present him a balanced budget. It is a good thing that it isn't going to affect the last paycheck of July so I can pay Ace's board and training for August.

To be honest, my job isn't about the money. I can make far more in less time doing legal work. It's about the health insurance, which we couldn't afford if we had to pay for it directly. (It is also about not having to pay for legal malpractice insurance, another thing which is totally out of sight for a sole practitioner.) Nevertheless, I do have commitments that need to be paid and I don't know how long we'll have to wait to get the back pay once this stalemate has ended.

It really bugged me that the Gov is more worried about paying bills to third parties than paying his workers who have far less recourse when dealing with their creditors.

1 comment:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Ah, your government at work for you once again.