Thursday, April 9, 2009

Lessons from the Fire, continued.

Eight, newspapers do a poor job of reporting and don't even bother with the who, what, when, where, how, and why these days. Here's a report about the fire and a picture in the Daily News. Here's a bigger version of the photograph. Wouldn't it have made a better story if the headline had read "Wolverine Creator Safe, Original Wolverine Art Destroyed in Early Morning Fire." I do appreciate them noticing the dog's loss, though. And here's a video report from the LAPD, which has a video which is not actually our house.

Nine, have a great relationship with your insurance agent. Ours was immediately responsive, came to the house as soon as he could, and got good people there, protecting us from the vultures who respond to the fire department calls in order to snag 10% of your insurance coverage as "independent appraisers." We are not anywhere near being at war with our insurance company, who did a good job after the 1994 earthquake.

Ten, realize that when a fire engulfs your bathroom and bedroom, you're going to go shopping. If you like shopping, it's a real plus. If you are indifferent, its not so great. I am particularly sorry to loose the brand new paddock boots and lacers that were in the closet in reserve. And my rarely worn cowboy boots. And my worn once black dress boots. And the clothes I thought I would wear to the Nebula Awards banquet. The only clothes I had left were the ones I was wearing to work that morning.

4 comments:

Mary Robinette Kowal said...

8. Doesn't surprise me.
9. That's a bit of good news. I'm glad you aren't having trouble with insurance.
10. I hope you enjoy shopping.

Victoria Cummings said...

I've missed a week of visiting my favorite blogs - and look what happened to you- I'm so sorry! Especially about your dog. Having gone through a devastating fire years ago when I lived in NYc, I know what it's like for you. For many years, I'd have moments where I'd be looking for valued things and then I'd realize that they were gone in the fire. I still miss some of the books and art. I hope you guys rebuild and recover quickly.

Flying Lily said...

I am so sorry about your dog. What a terrible surprise and imagine an unused heater causing all that grief. I would not have thought it possible. I hope you find some more of your things as time goes on and I hope the reassembly of your life goes swiftly.

M. C. Valada said...

Once again, I thank everyone for their emotional support during this stressful time.

A number of our friends immediately had their wall heaters disconnected. There's no reason to risk a fire that way.

Going through a fire in New York must have been awful. At least our debris is in our walled yard and we can go through it slowly. What happens in New York if things are in an alley or you were in a high rise and not allowed back in?

I keep going over the books and DVDs which were in my bedroom--there were hundreds of them, because I kept my favorites near by. Except for those which were signed or first editions, they can be replaced. Fortunately. A lot of the jewelery can't be.

Sheba can never be replaced.