Thursday, August 4, 2011

S'mother

I met Adam Chester because he's an amazing pianist who provided the accompaniment for What's My Line Live on Stage (for which I became the production photographer.)  Adam's accompanied Elton John's band in rehearsals and sung with him in concert.  A few years ago, Adam set up a website where he posted some of the  1300 letters he's received from his over-protective mother over the years.

I understand over-protective mothers.  When I went off to college, mine handed me a 1 pound bag of sugar packets, so people wouldn't spike my breakfast cereal sugar with marijuana.  I am not kidding.

Adam found a publisher (or a publisher found him) and, just in time for Mother's Day, a selection of the letters appeared in book form as S'mother.  Last night, Adam and his mother Joan appeared on The George Lopez  Show.

I don't give my cell phone number to my mother either.

2 comments:

MIke Garrett said...

Christine,

It's me, Mike Garrett, again. We had a little exchange a while back before my tryout, and now it's official — I'm going to be on Jeopardy.

Talking to Maggie, I mentioned that we had exchanged comments on your blog and she recommended I call you to get some tips before I fly out. I don't know if you would be amenable to that, but at the very least I would like to put you on the guest list, if you still want to come out for some tapings.

I fly down Dec. 17, and the tape dates are the 19 and 20.

You can find me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=758454378 to send me a response.

cheers,
mike

MIke Garrett said...

I tried this once before, but I'm not sure it worked, so I'll try again.

I commented on your blog a while back, just before I went off to audition for Jeopardy in August.

Well, I got the call just recently and I'm in L.A. Dec. 17 to tape on Dec. 19 and 20.

I mentioned to Maggie that we had had contact (kinda) via your blog when she asked me if I had been in contact with anyone who had been on the show. This prompted her to tell me I should call you before I travel down to L.A. to get some advice from a former champion.

I also would love to put you on the guest list for the above-mentioned tape dates, as we discussed before.

My email address is mikepgarr@gmail.com if you want to get in touch with me.

Thanks,
Mike Garrett