Tuesday, January 8, 2008

And You Think You've Got Stress?

Hillary Clinton chokes up on the campaign trail and the reports sound like she's having a nervous break-down. Just how much do people hate smart, well-educated, accomplished Democratic women in this country? Give me a friggin' break. I don't recall the press stopping for a minute to report on the Reagans' abilities to tear up on cue, which I had the distinct displeasure to observe on an assignment one day back in the 1980s. Hillary's appears to have been an honest moment in a hard-fought campaign. It's tough to watch something you've worked for and you know you'd be great at slipping away.

I'm also really pissed at the commentators who think that things are all over with these two contests which represent less than 2% of the electorate. I'd suggest waiting until after Super Tuesday, when places like California get to check in, before drawing conclusions. Since I still think that Dennis Kucinich is the only candidate speaking like a true liberal, I'm more than irritated that the networks think they can limit candidates access to debates (that's you ABC.) I also think that it's questionable journalism that skewed the coverage after John Edwards came in second to Barack Obama by saying it was a race between Barack and Hillary. And the report I heard saying Hillary had lost Iowa by double digits was also unfair. She lost to Barack by single digits and was right on John Edward's heels. Only by combining the Obama and Edwards numbers does she lose by "double digits."

This race is exciting as it is. I know it is impossible for Fox Noise to be fair and balanced, but that doesn't excuse any of the rest of the journalists out there.

John Stewart and Stephen Colbert returned to the airwaves last night and did a great job of spreading the word on the WGA strike by bringing on guests who could intelligently talk about labor relations and the monetary issues at stake. We roared with laughter at "The AMPTP, pronounced NAMBLA" and Stewart getting jibes in about the companies lying either to the writers or their stock holders. Colbert's feigned lack of understanding about where the words on his monitor come from was priceless, as was the lack of "The Word."

I so wish the WGA would issue those shows interim agreements, but I do understand why they won't--so far. Unlike David Letterman, who owns his own show, I'm pretty sure Viacom owns "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report." Without the rest of the company signing on as well, it isn't a move in the right direction. Sigh.

No comments: