Friday, May 23, 2008

The Adventure Continues

We took a family night and the three of us went to see Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Daa daa dadum da da da. We had a swell time and ate a large bag of popcorn while willingly suspending our sense of disbelief.

Michael grew up watching this series and Star Wars. It's hard to believe I was pregnant with him when the first Indy film came out. For the second film, I remember sitting in line for the first show in D.C., which I saw with a friend. The third film opened about six weeks before I met Len and was still in release that fall when he came to visit me at law school in Cleveland. We went to see the film at the big theater in Shaker Heights before it was broken up into three small screening rooms. I think it was actually the first movie we went to together.

I watched Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade recently, so I was ready for any and all references. Like most of us, Steve, George and company seem to have erased Temple of Doom from the iconography. They have, however, included reference to The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, which I happen to love.

Because I'm sure not everyone has seen it yet, I'll save most thoughts on specifics until another time. Except for one thing. Marion Ravenwood is still the best woman in the saga. No, two things. Unlike Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones' presence is necessary in this film.

3 comments:

Steely Dan said...

I've honestly never understood all the hate directed at "Temple of Doom." It's always been my favorite of the series. I just finished watching it again and I still hold that opinion. It's darker, funnier, faster-paced, scarier, and more suspenseful than any of the others.

Of course, I also think that "Empire Strikes Back," "Batman Returns," "Back to the Future Part II," "Toy Story 2," "X-Men 2," "Star Trek II," Infernal Affairs 2," "The Bride of Frankenstein," "Superman II," "Attack of the Clones," "Spider-Man 2," "The Four Musketeers," and "The Godfather Part II" were the best of their respective series, so maybe I'm just drawn to "Chapter Two" in general.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Haven't seen the new one yet, but I will. I've liked all of the adventures on Indiana Jones. Mostly because of Harrison Ford,whom I like very much as an actor.

M. C. Valada said...

Dan: The problems with Temple of Doom are (a)monkey brains and (b) the second Mrs. Spielberg. She's no Marion Ravenwood. I will agree with you on Star Trek II, X-2(except that it lacks that sock it to my stomach moment of Hugh Jackman's undraped back in the cage where the body language screamed "I am Wolverine" and Len and I both went "Oh, yeah") and Godfather II. I strongly disagree about BTTF II (hated it). Len will agree with you about Spidie 2.

I always treat the Michael York Three and Four Musketeers as one movie, as they were shot to be. Just ask the actors who found out otherwise when they were released.

Arlene: With you on Harrison, although he's no longer my first choice for pre-forgiven one-night-stand. I think he's perfect in "Air Force One."